We are adding to our leadership team.
The successful candidates will be invited to attend a volunteer leadership training camp in the Spring of 2023. There are 12 spots available for training. Everyone who comes to training has the opportunity to lead Girl In The Wild camps in the future. Cool!
You’re our kinda leader if:
- You have lived experience with tough stuff—bullying, eating disorders, body dysmorphia, depression, mental illness, self-harm, addiction, etc.
- You are comfortable being open and honest about the shit you’ve been through. Being vulnerable is your jam.
- You connect easily and naturally with teenagers
- You either self-identify as a woman or are non-binary.
- You are the most non-judgemental person your friends know.
- You have solid listening skills.
- You have significant hiking and backpacking experience on a variety of terrain, including off-trail. You really stinkin’ LOVE being outside.
- You practice Leave No Trace protocols always
Guiding Skills and Qualifications
- You feel comfortable taking a group of inexperienced youth into a remote (sub-) alpine environment in summer
- You can set and adapt an all-day hiking pace for a group with varying fitness and experience levels
- You have experience in client- and group-care in a wilderness environment including injuries, blisters, environmental exposure (frostbite/cold injuries, hypo/hyperthermia etc.), common medical issues, stings/bites, fear, and a variety of other things that may come up
- You possess Wilderness First Aid Responder (80-hour) certification or are willing to get
- You can exercise good risk management and judgement when making go/no-go decisions based on the group capabilities, weather forecast, conditions, terrain, and other factors
- You can swim and care for others while swimming
- You have a Class 4 Unrestricted driver's license
- You have worked with teenagers in a learning/growing capacity before.
- You have mad photography skillz.
- You have some other rad applicable skills that you want to tell us about: are you a backcountry cuisine chef? a slackline aficionado? an ecology or geology buff? can you share some traditional ecological knowledge about the area? Etc.
If this is you, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close September 30, 2022.